New research conducted and released by the University of Cambridge indicates the process of going through higher education may be a protection against developing Alzheimer’s disease. A major cause of dementia, Alzheimer’s is a condition that causes progressive memory and communication impairment, along with behavioral changes, and ultimately leaves a patient incapacitated and unable to take care of themselves. As yet, medical science has not been able to identify a concrete cause of Alzheimer’s disease, or produce any significant treatments that ease the symptoms. And a cure remains out of reach for the time being.
Accordingly, some research has turned to trying to pinpoint risk factors that might lead to developing Alzheimer’s disease at some point. Similar research has already shown improved diets and exercise levels can reduce the chance of being diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. This latest study points to education as being another indicator that lowers Alzheimer’s risk.
As the number of years someone spends in higher education rises, their risk of developing Alzheimer’s drops. The study’s authors are stopping short of saying university or college is a way to avoid getting Alzheimer’s disease later in life, but they do say there does appear to be a risk related link. They’re hoping to conduct further research to rule out other factors, such as income or background, as being the reason for the current study’s data.
Being a college graduate may mean you’re less likely to develop Alzheimer’s; study for safety! #HealthStatus
- 1Despite increasing research attention, the cause of Alzheimer’s is unknown, as is any way to effectively treat it.
- 2Some studies are focusing on risk factors for Alzheimer’s; trying to predict who may be most likely to develop the disease.
- 3More research is needed to determine if it’s education, or some other factor such as lifestyle background or income level, that is at work here.
See the original at: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-12-genetics-alzheimer-disease.html
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- Dreaming On CBD: Will CBD Oil Cause Weird Dreams? - November 13, 2018
- What Are Primary And Secondary Cannabis Terpenes? - November 8, 2018
- Hemp For Keto: Why Hemp Protein Is Perfect For The Keto Diet - November 6, 2018