Medical research has uncovered a connection between hypertension and some forms of dementia. Some patients with mild cognitive impairment saw a very significant improvement in their cognitive symptoms when their doctors pursued aggressive measures in lowering the patient’s blood pressure. This is the first evidence that makes this connection. The study looked at a random selection of patients, and was able to correlate the data to show the link.
The study’s authors say it proves there are still many things that can possibly be done to help improve the outcomes of patients suffering from various types of dementia and also to reduce someone’s risk of developing cognitive impairment in the first place. Hypertension is a common medical issue suffered by tens of millions of people around the world, and in many instances there are either medical treatments or lifestyle improvements that can be effected to reduce or eliminate the higher blood pressure they’re dealing with. Not only will this improve their cardiovascular health, it will also lower their risk for later mental or cognitive problems. And, for patients who already have diagnosed cognitive impairments, treating their blood pressure becomes not just a secondary concern but one tied directly to their cognitive decline. This should improve health outcomes for everyone affected.
Heart health can lead to good mental health; lowering your blood pressure reduces dementia risk. #HealthStatus
- 1By managing your blood pressure you can reduce your risk of dementia.
- 2This study proved a link between uncontrolled high blood pressure and dementia risk.
- 3People who had their blood pressure well controlled had a 19% less chance of developing dementia.
See the original at: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-07-intensive-blood-pressure-mild-cognitive.html
- 1Read about the Four Stages of Caregiving
- 2Are You a Caregiver or Know One? Get the Enable Caregiver Course
- 3Register to get free health eBooks and content. (click here)
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- First CBD Cafe In US Offers Eye-Opening Way To Experience Cannabidiol - November 15, 2018
- Healthy Holidays / Family Stress The Relatives - November 14, 2018
- Dreaming On CBD: Will CBD Oil Cause Weird Dreams? - November 13, 2018