One of the problems with dementia is your mind, your brain, begins to work differently. And it’s not as simple as memory loss. Sometimes a dementia patient can get confused, or think things that aren’t true. This can cause those with dementia to get themselves into physical danger through simply wandering or walking into areas they shouldn’t be in. Such as roads or other hazardous locations. When you can’t trust your mind to think rationally and properly, you need to rely upon others to help safeguard you from danger. The problem is, when dementia strikes, you lose even the ability to recognize when you need someone else’s assistance.
Researchers into dementia and other cognitive disorders recognize this problem. A study conducted in Australia looked at men with dementia who wandered away from caregivers or their known safe locations. Twenty percent of them died when this occurred, and another twenty percent sustained injuries during their dementia caused wandering.
While exercise and staying active is important for everyone, it is especially helpful for dementia patients. Other research has shown activity can help combat the worst effects of dementia. But caregivers need to be mindful that their loved ones don’t slip into a routine that gives them opportunity to wander away and risk injury. Or worse.
Research shows dementia patients who wander away from safe places are risking injury or death. #HealthStatus
- 1Since people with dementia go missing, due to confusion with their memory, in some cases round the clock care can be come mandatory.
- 2It can be dangerous and deadly to wander when you have dementia and has a high fatality rate.
- 3Using silver alert can save the lives of many suffering from dementia, and has been approved in 18 states.
See the original at: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-05-people-dementia.html
Do you need help in the area of Dementia Care? Check out this available resource: Fit Minds Family Caregiver Program
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- 4 Signs Of Poor Gut Health And What You Can Do About It - September 16, 2021
- 4 Ways Magnesium Intake Impacts Your Body - September 13, 2021
- How Online Counselling Has Changed Mental Health Care - August 6, 2021