One of the problems with Dementia is lack of public awareness of the truth about it. This stands as a great impediment to helping individuals with dementia as it impedes understanding and finding out solutions to this issue.
A study done by the lead researcher Monica Cations in associations with Flinders University in South Australia found that after 32 studies done in between 2012 and 2017 resulted in less than half of the 36, 519 subjects thought that vitamins were more important than physical exercise. There was the viewpoint that dementia is simply a part of normal aging and that not much can be done about when In fact, physical activity is highly responsible for brain health and. These surveys were conducted in Europe. US and Australia. According to the study over one third of the cases of dementia would be possibly prevented by knowledge of health , hypertension and their relation to dementia.
Now the WHO has decided to accelerate the awareness of Dementia for all countries by the year 2025 through educational efforts direct to the public. This increased level of awareness of symptoms, risk factors and treatment options should help clear up the misconceptions that are currently mainstream.
Even as dementia becomes something more people are affected by, few understand it or know how to act #HealthStatus
- 1Physical activity is a key deterrent against diseases of the brain such as dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
- 2The public’s education on, and knowledge about, the importance of physical activity to combat mental diseases is severely lacking.
- 3Common stereotypes and misconceptions are the public’s main barriers to gaining knowledge on dementia, because it reduces their open-mindedness and willingness to learn.
See the original at: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-08-greater-awareness-dementia.html
- 1Read about the Four Stages of Caregiving
- 2Are You a Caregiver or Know One? Get the Enable Caregiver Course
- 3Register to get free health eBooks and content. (click here)