The problem of large skin pores is caused by over-secretion of oil by the oil glands. Thankfully, a number of medical treatments can help reduce the size of pores, thus making your skin appear firm and healthy. It is also important to follow a certain skincare regime so as to keep this problem at bay. However, before we recommend remedies for reduction of these pores, let us try and understand why this problem occurs in the first place.
Large pores form due to several reasons such as genetic factors, loss of skin elasticity with age, over-secretion of oil by the sebaceous glands, poor skincare routine and your overall health conditions. This condition mostly affects the T-zone, especially in those who have an oily skin. Due to over-secretion of oil, the expanded pores are filled with oil and dead cells, thereby blocking them. This often leads to acne, pimples and zits. To get rid of this condition, it is important to keep your skin as clean as possible.
How Can I Reduce the Size of These Large Pores?
Considering the large number of face scrubs and packs that are available, this skin problem can now be easily treated. There are also a whole range of home remedies that you can try out. However, for pores that are too large, the help of a cosmetic surgeon is recommended; even though it is a rather expensive process.
- Start by cleaning your skin using a special cleansing gel or oil. Do not use products that contain alcohol or acid since they can damage your skin further. Steam your face for about 10-15 minutes to open clogged pores. Add a few drops of basil or rosemary in the water for a rejuvenating effect.
- Next, gently exfoliate your skin. Use a gentle face scrub of a known brand. You could even make your own natural scrub by combining ground sugar and a little milk! This process will help you remove dirt, dead cells, blackheads and whiteheads that block your skin.
- The third step involves using a good toner that would close the open pores, thus diminishing their appearance. Along with closing pores, toners also help to remove soap residue and makeup, which often render a large appearance to the pores.
- Finally, use a light moisturizer, preferably a water-based one that would reduce the oiliness of your skin.
Other than these every-day efforts, you may also consider using a face mask to subside oiliness of your skin. While a number of masks are available over-the-counter, try preparing some natural ones at home.
Quick, Natural & Some Home Remedies to Help You Deal with Large Pores
There are several masks and scrubs that you can use to remove skin pores and make it appear fresh and supple.
Ground Oatmeal: Mix 2 tablespoons of this with yogurt and place it in the refrigerator for a few hours. Then apply this paste to your skin for 30 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water. You can also make a paste of ground oatmeal, lemon juice, gram flower and rose water. Apply the paste on your face and rinse off when dry.
Egg-White: Prepare a mask with the egg-whites of 2 eggs and a few drops of lemon juice. Leave it on the face for a few minutes and then wash it off. This remedy tightens the skin and clears excess oil and dead cells.
The Fruity-Way: Tomatoes can be used in a number of ways to reduce oil content, sizes of pores and their appearance. Add the juice of a tomato to sandalwood or calamine powder and apply on the face. Alternately, dip cotton in tomato juice and apply. Leave it on for about 15 minutes before washing it off. Mashed papaya, when applied on the face is also helpful in toning the skin. Similarly useful is a paste of honey, lemon juice and sugar. Gently massage with it on the skin and finally wash off with lukewarm water.
Using Make-Up the Right Way: Using a well-known foundation or concealor brand is a quick way to hide the appearance of pores. Preferably, use a cream-based foundation rather than a liquid one, followed by light dusting with powder.
While large pores do mar your overall appearance, some basic efforts can help you get rid of them without spending a huge amount of money. Take out time everyday for skin care. Clean your skin thoroughly, drink lots of water and apply the right make-up for healthy, supple and flawless skin.
The HealthStatus editorial team has continued that commitment to excellence by providing our visitors with easy to understand high quality health content for many years.
Our team of health professionals, and researchers use peer reviewed studies as source elements in our articles.
Our high quality content has been featured in a number of leading websites, USA Today, the Chicago Tribune, Live Strong, GQ, and many more.
Latest posts by HealthStatus Team (see all)
- Amy’s Purium Experience – Day 10 - June 4, 2020
- There Are Many Health Benefits From Intermittent Fasting Not Just Weight Loss - June 3, 2020
- Perioral Dermatitis - June 2, 2020