While Type 2 diabetes results from lifestyle factors, mostly low levels of exercise and diets high in sugars and carbohydrates, type 1 diabetes is a disease of the immune system. It cannot be managed simply with lifestyle changes, and even individual who are otherwise very health, who exercise well and eat right, can have type 1 diabetes. While the primary treatment for type 1 diabetes is through medication, there are some things patients with the disease can do to assist their doctor to help them stay healthy.
Yoga is a form of exercise that focuses on stretching. This bolsters circulation through the muscles, which increases the blood supply to the body. Good circulation is particularly important for type 1 diabetes patients because the insulin they must inject to manage their disease needs to get to the body’s cells. Regular stretching, and of course helping to maintain your muscles in good condition, will make your insulin more effective.
Further, stress is known to affect blood sugar levels and reduce the efficiency of insulin. Yoga is a documented way of reducing stress, and can help your overall health simply by keeping you calmer and less prone to anxiety or tension. Doctors can do a lot for patients, but they can do more when patients are willing to chip in on the fight to stay healthy.
Help your doctor treat your diabetes by taking up yoga. Stretch those muscles and release stress. #HealthStatus
- 1Blood supply is increased with yoga. This is often a problem with diabetics.
- 2Yoga lowers stress. Insulin is often releases as part of any negative stress response, hurting you in the long run.
- 3When you bend and stretch it works your organs out, opening them up and aiding with digestion.
See the original at: http://insulinnation.com/treatment/how-yoga-helps-type-1-diabetes/
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- Brain Bleed - November 20, 2019
- Infant Jaundice Common & Treatable - November 18, 2019
- Your Gut Affects More Than Just Digestion:Understanding Gut Health - November 14, 2019