Since the World Breastfeeding Week falls in August let”s take a look at some of the benefits of breastfeeding.
Breastfeeding Benefits for Babies:
- Colostrum, the first breast milk your body produces the first few days of your new baby”s life is full of nutrients and antibodies that protect your baby from illness.
- Babies who are breastfed have lower incidence of ear infections, less diarrhea, lower respiratory infections and less skin rashes. It has also been shown to lower a baby”s risk of Asthma, Obesity, Diabetes, Leukemia and SIDS.
- The 5th day after birth colostrum changes into mature breast milk. This milk has the perfect balance of fat, sugar, water, and protein that your baby needs for optimal growth.
- Breast milk is easier to digest than infant formulas that are made from cow”s milk.
Breastfeeding Benefits for Mothers:
- When the baby is hungry you are ready. Breastfeeding saves time. There are no bottles to fix and wash. There is no formula to buy, measure, and mix. In the middle of the night all you have to do is get your baby and feed. Not make the trip to the kitchen to organize while your little one cries.
- Breastfeeding can save money. Formula is expensive, it can cost over $1500 your first year. It is even possible that you will have lower healthcare costs due to less illness that breastfed babies seem to have.
- Breastfeeding can just feel good. It is nice to be this close with your baby, your skin up against theirs.
- Breastfed infants are sick less often and that means if you work outside the home, you will miss fewer days of work. This is good for your employer and your pocketbook.
Breastfeeding Benefits for Society:
- According to recent research if 90% of families’ breastfed exclusively for 6 months, 1,000 deaths among infants could be prevented.
- The United States could save $13 billion per year in lower medical costs associated with fewer sick doctor visits, prescriptions and hospitalizations if babies were fully breastfed for the first 6 months.
- Breastfed babies contribute less garbage to the environment. There is less trash from bottles, bottle supplies and formula cans going to landfills.
Latest posts by HealthStatus Team (see all)
- Important Reasons Why You Need Relationship Goals - July 17, 2018
- A Critical Look at CBD Oil: The Effects and Benefits - March 28, 2018
- CBD Oil: Benefits, Uses & Side Effects - March 2, 2018