Stress makes it difficult to fall asleep or stay asleep. Stress causes the body to be in a state of hyper-arousal, which makes it almost impossible to sleep. This can turn into a cycle where lack of sleep contributes to stress, therefore leading to even less sleep. There are ways to destress before trying to go to bed. Exercise in the morning or afternoon, long before you try to sleep. Try to avoid any kind of stimulating or stressful activities before bed. For 30 minutes to an hour before bedtime do something relaxing such as reading or listening to calming music. Avoid work-related tasks, texting, or TV shows that can cause tension before bed. Deep breathing, guided imagery, or progressive muscle relaxation before bed can help with falling asleep. In order to clear the mind of the day’s stresses, write a list of all concerns and put it aside to be dealt with in the morning.
- 1It can be difficult to fall or stay asleep if you’re stressed out.
- 2That’s why it’s smart to take steps to leave any stress behind before you go to bed.
- 3Whether it’s walking, jogging, cycling, or swimming, playing a sport, using a cardio machine, or taking an exercise class, engaging in physical activity is a great way to release both physical and mental tension.
To prevent daytime worries from sabotaging your sleep, make a concerted effort to switch your mind into “off” mode before you turn in for the night.You can do this by jotting down your concerns in the afternoon and putting them aside to address the next morning. Or, you can practice mindfulness meditation : Sit quietly with your eyes closed, clear your mind of thoughts, and focus on your breathing.
Read the full article at: https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-topics/learn-leave-stress-behind-bedtime
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- Death By Coronavirus: Covered By Life Insurance Policies? - April 1, 2020
- How To Shop For Medicine and Healthy Food Whilst Saving Money During The Coronavirus - March 31, 2020
- 5 Habits That Are Affecting Your Flexibility And Range Of Motion - March 27, 2020