There are a number of health concerns that can develop with age. One of the more common ones is problems with vision. As we enter our forties, a condition called presbyopia can occur which can begin to reduce or even eliminate our ability to focus our eyes correctly. A patient with presbyopia is less able to correctly discern small objects in any appreciable detail, such as tiny text. Low levels of light make this condition markedly worse.
Many older people often begin using reading glasses, keeping a pair with them, to help counter these frustrating moments when you need to look at something and find your eyes won’t cooperate. But fussing with a pair of glasses you only need some of the time can be distracting, and if you forget them then you’re out of luck. Further, presbyopia can worsen, making them more and more necessary. Finally, the condition doesn’t affect distance vision, so wearing reading glasses can interfere with your ability to see things that aren’t up close.
Multifocal contact lenses can solve the problem, even if they can’t fix your eyes. These contacts carry different levels of vision correction on different parts of the lens. When you look at up close objects, the prescription at the center of the contact compensates for the presbyopia effects that remove your ability to focus correctly. But when you look at things further away, different portions of the contact lens don’t interfere and let your eyes bring the world into view.
You might not need to settle for reading glasses; new contacts can give you your reading vision back #HealthStatus
- 1When presbyopia begins to develop, it can be inconvenient to be putting on reading glasses every time you need to see something up close.
- 2Multifocal lenses for presbyopia have many different designs which include concentric bifocal multifocal, alternating image and simultaneous image designs.
- 3You will experience an adjustment period when starting with multifocal lens. This because your brain is getting used to a new way of seeing.
See the original at: https://coopervision.com/blog/replace-your-reading-glasses-with-contact-lenses
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- Grape or Grain but Never the Twain? A Randomized Controlled Multiarm Matched-Triplet Crossover Trial of Beer and Wine - March 25, 2019
- Choosing Adult Day Care for Alzheimer’s Patients - March 21, 2019
- Some Common Surgeries - March 21, 2019