“What do I eat for breakfast?” is a common question I get asked all the time! In addition to, “do I have to eat breakfast even if I’m not hungry?” Most women think they “have to” eat breakfast but that is not necessarily true. There is no “one size fits all” nutritional approach that works for everyone so I like to suggest “experimenting” with different approaches and see what works and feels best for you. What’s the deal with skipping breakfast? I mean isn’t best to keep the metabolism going with eating something every 2-3 hours? The answer is (drumroll)…Maybe! Again, it depends.
You may have heard of Intermittent Fasting (IF), which means going a certain period of time without eating. It’s not a diet but a pattern of eating, making a conscious decision to skip certain meals. It’s approached a couple different ways:
- Regularly eat during a specific time period. For example, only eating from noon-8PM, essentially skipping breakfast. Some people only eat in a 6-hour window or even a 4-hour window.
- Skip two meals one day, taking a full 24- hours off from eating. For example, eating on a normal schedule (finishing dinner at 8PM) and then not eating again until dinner the following day.
There are different “camps” in the Nutrition/Fitness World on this very controversial topic. Studies have shown favorable results in weight loss, fitness and overall health in both camps, the Intermittent Fasting group and Eat More Often group. It comes down to what and how much we are eating and as I mentioned above, “one size doesn’t fit all.” Studies have shown interesting differences between the results of Intermittent Fasting on women versus men also. Overall men respond more favorably to IF than women, however a lot of women do really well with increasing the time between eating their last meal and when they “break the fast,” AKA Breakfast!
Before I would suggest experimenting with Intermittent Fasting, it needs to be determined if you are a SUGAR BURNER or a FAT BURNER. A quick measure is to evaluate how you feel. The acronym SHMEC is a great tool to use to assess. SHMEC
is an abbreviation for SLEEP, HUNGER, MOOD, ENERGY and CRAVINGS.
- SLEEP. Do you sleep solid? Wake up during the night? Do you feel well rested after 7-9 hours or are you still tired?
- HUNGER. Are you able to go 4-5 hours without overwhelming hunger?
- MOOD. Is your mood stable?
- ENERGY. Is your energy consistent?
- CRAVINGS. Do you crave sugar/carbs?
If your sleep is sound, able to go 4-5 hours without being starving, your mood is not all over the place, you have good energy and you are not having crazy cravings for sugar/carbs, then it’s safe to say you are a FAT BURNER, or Fat Adapted. On the flip side, if you have broken sleep, feel starving, experience moodiness, energy crashes mid-day and you crave sugar/carbs, then you are currently a SUGAR BURNER.
Don’t worry if you are a currently a SUGAR BURNER; get started TODAY on my on-line 12 WEEKS TO A FIT BRIDE program and I will guide you to become a FAT BURNER quickly! Breaking up with SUGAR is not so easy so allowing a Bride Fit Coach to help you navigate helps a lot!
Here’s where you can start:
- Pay attention to what types of food you crave, eat and how they make you feel. Do they make you hungrier, tired, bloated, gassy, or energized? Recognizing the connection to what you eat and how you feel will help you make mindful food choices that support becoming a FAT BURNER.
- Become a CONSCIENCE EATER. Before you Mindlessly Eat ask yourself where the food came from. Is it “real” or “fake” food? REAL FOOD doesn’t come in a wrapper or box. It’s the foods that are typically found on the perimeter of the grocery store, foods made by mother nature, foods that don’t have a nutritional label, foods that are their original color without any help from FD&C Yellow #5, foods that weren’t made by a flavor chemist, foods that truly nourish you and make you feel vibrant! FAKE FOOD is “food like substances” that have hyper palatable flavoring and they are addictive! Completely eliminating all processed food isn’t realistic but choosing minimally processed food that doesn’t contain chemicals like food dye, high fructose corn syrup or other harmful ingredients that disrupt your metabolism and make you fat, sick and tired, is important.
The take-a-way here is that “skipping breakfast” can have health benefits and assist in fat release in some cases BUT it is a reserved for women who currently have a HEALTHY METABOLISM and are currently FAT BURNERS. If you’re not there yet, eat protein and fat to get the day started! Eggs with veggies made in coconut oil or pastured butter, protein shake, organic FULL FAT plain yogurt with some berries and nuts are all good choices.
It can be confusing to knowing what to eat, how much to eat and when to eat! Contact me for a consultation, [email protected]. And JOIN 12 WEEKS TO A FIT BRIDE TODAY to become BRIDE FIT in your body, mind, home and relationshipJ
Latest posts by Sheila Piehler (see all)
- Navigating A Bride Fit Nutrition Plan Through The Holiday Season - December 1, 2017
- Eat Carbs & Skip Workouts To Get a Bride Fit Body - November 10, 2017
- Release The Extra Summer Pounds & Reset Your Bride Fit Body - August 25, 2017