Many bulimics often develop some level of post traumatic stress disorder. And many PTSD suffers will sometimes find bulimia being added as problem they need to battle against. Mental trauma has a tendency to manifest in broad ways that can be difficult to overcome, which is why such conditions remain a serious concern for both patients and medical professionals.
Key factors that affect how serious a traumatic event is for a certain patient include the type of trauma, how it struck the patient, and how that person responds to the events. Most people tend to either try and find some way to cope with the trauma, or to block the event out entirely and simply numb themselves against it.
These reactions to trauma have a host of possible side effects and possible subsequent impacts upon the patient. Unfortunately, some of these can be negative, and start a fresh cycle of additional side effects. For example, coping by hoping to avoid dealing with the problem or mental trigger can manifest in problems with diet, or even a desire to self harm as a way of punishment for the events and actions. On the other hand, coping by trying to turn and face the event head on can create positive results that help reduce stress and the effects of the trauma.
PTSD and Bulimia may have a link. Use active coping tools to stay mentally healthy. #HealthStatus
- 1Most practitioners and consumers are aware of the individual conditions of PTSD and bulimia nervosa.
- 2However, many people do not realize that the two often co-exist, manifesting in a complex symptom set.
- 3As such, when working with a patient who has experienced trauma, it is important to understand the possible coexistence and interrelation of these disorders.
See the original at: https://www.eatingdisorderhope.com/blog/ptsd-bulimia-relational-statistics
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- How To Check The Legitimacy Of Your Medicines - June 4, 2020
- How To Fix Your Sleep Schedule: The Only Guide You Need - June 1, 2020
- Year-Round Habits For A Healthier Immune System - May 31, 2020