Weight loss surgery is not without risk and can result in serious complications. In fact, complications from weight loss surgery can be serious enough to endanger your life. They include symptoms like nausea and vomiting that are common non-threatening side effects of many medications. And indeed nausea and vomiting can be the result of medications or anesthesia if experienced immediately after weight loss surgery. However, they may also be the result of serious underlying causes including dehydration, blockages or strictures, and ulcers. While dehydration may not appear to be serious it can be caused by blockages or strictures which mean that drinking more fluids will be not be an effective treatment. Thus making it a serious condition that requires medical attention. Approximately 3 to 5 percent of gastric bypass patients develop strictures which can result in dehydration. Furthermore, ulcers are relatively common with 38% of gastric bypass patients. Therefore if you have undergone weight loss surgery you should contact your surgeon if symptoms such as nausea and vomiting persist.
- 1A stricture occurs when the new connection between the stomach and small intestine forms scar tissue during healing. This scar tissue can close the opening of the connection. Vomiting results when food or liquid can not pass though the closure.
- 2One of the most common causes of nausea and vomiting in gastric bypass and sleeve patients is an ulcer. An ulcer is a sore that forms at the staple line, which is most prone to the development of ulcers.
- 3There are multiple factors that can play a part in the formation of ulcers after weight-loss surgery such as a bacterial infection.
Approximately one to 36% of all gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy patients may develop ulcers. However, with changes in surgical techniques, ulcer formation is much lower—down to 2 to 4%.
Read the full article at: http://milestogo.squarespace.com/blog/2016/10/24/surgery-complications-can-be-scary.html
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- First CBD Cafe In US Offers Eye-Opening Way To Experience Cannabidiol - November 15, 2018
- Healthy Holidays / Family Stress The Relatives - November 14, 2018
- Dreaming On CBD: Will CBD Oil Cause Weird Dreams? - November 13, 2018