Iron is very important to our overall health. It helps oxygen get through our body. Although our blood carries oxygen, there must be iron in the blood for it to do this successfully. Low iron in the blood could lead to a condition called anemia. This can be very dangerous. Anemia can cause a person to feel weak and tired. One common sign of anemia is pallor or an unhealthy pale appearance.
Furthermore, severe anemia may even have to be treated with a blood transfusion. But before it gets to that point a person with anemia can still take an iron supplement. There are many kinds out there. It comes in pills and also in liquid forms. It also comes by itself or mixed with other important vitamins and minerals. Many foods also contain iron, just like meats and vegetables.
This breaks down the difference so you know which kind you should try to find. Animal iron is not the same as that which comes from plants, though both can be helpful. Before choosing a form of iron you should have facts about them. You want your anemia to be successfully treated the first time so you can begin to feel stronger as soon as possible.
Think you aren’t getting enough iron if you are a vegetarian or vegan? You’d be surprised (link) #HealthStatus
- 1 Contrary to a belief, people who eat more plant-based diets actually get more iron and other things such as fiber.
- 2 There is a difference between plant-based iron and iron found in meat, and they both affect our bodies in different ways.
- 3 Scientists are trying to find new ways to introduce the benefits of non-heme iron into our diets.
See the original at https://nutritionfacts.org/2017/06/15/plant-versus-animal-iron/
The HealthStatus editorial team has continued that commitment to excellence by providing our visitors with easy to understand high quality health content for many years.
Our team of health professionals, and researchers use peer reviewed studies as source elements in our articles.
Our high quality content has been featured in a number of leading websites, USA Today, the Chicago Tribune, Live Strong, GQ, and many more.
Latest posts by HealthStatus Team (see all)
- 3 Things That Won’t Help Your Baby Sleep: The Anti-Advice - November 7, 2019
- Hemp In China: A Hemp Growing Superpower - November 5, 2019
- 7 Treatments to Help Relieve Your Chronic Pain - October 31, 2019