Obesity among hispanic women is a particular problem, and researchers in Los Angeles decided to tackle the specific issue of obesity among pregnant hispanic women. They developed a program that would attack weight loss through 3 interventions: walking, breastfeeding, and drinking water. The walking portion of the program including having the women take an online class that promoted walking and also sending out a weekly text message that reminded and encouraged the women to meet their goals. The women in the program actually managed to lose over 100% of their pregnancy weight in just 12 weeks. The researchers believe their program is an affordable, effective way to fight obesity.
- 1Over half of Hispanic women in Los Angeles County are obese.
- 2Walking, breastfeeding and drinking water are effective health interventions post-partum.
- 3Receiving health related texts can be motivational to those learning healthy behaviors.
At the end of 6 months, study participants had lost an average of 107.5% of the weight they had gained during their pregnancy.
Read the full article at: https://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/AdditionalMeetings/57596
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- 11 Common Conditions That Can Be Treated By A Chiropractor - October 8, 2021
- 4 Signs Of Poor Gut Health And What You Can Do About It - September 16, 2021
- 4 Ways Magnesium Intake Impacts Your Body - September 13, 2021