With over 65% of people in the U.S. owning a pet, it’s no wonder that the pet food industry has continued to grow. You may have heard about the emergence of holistic brands of food for your pet and wondering what all the hype is about. Many boutique food brands are promoting holistic foods for pets that promise to bring better health and nutrition. However, are their claims true?
First, we need to look at the meaning of “holistic” and how it pertains to your pet’s food. When speaking about foods, the term “holistic” simply refers to a diet that concentrates on nutritional value and less processing. With off-the-shelf animal foods containing high percentages of filler, many pet parents are looking for food that has more substance.
Pet owners adore their beloved animals and want to give them food that will give them energy and maintain their overall health. Before you switch to a holistic brand of food like Earthborn Holistic Pet Foods, let’s take a closer look at a few things you should know.
What Does Holistic Mean?
While the pet industry doesn’t currently have any regulations on what governs using the phrase “holistic” on pet food, most users understand that this type of food is more naturally sourced. If you are interested in a holistic brand, it’s still essential to check the listed ingredients before you buy. Many companies are now using the term “holistic” to gain sales as a marketing tactic while their product is not living up to the claim.
The AAFCO defines natural holistic pet food as:
“A feed or feed ingredient derived solely from plant, animal or mined sources, either in its unprocessed state or having been subject to physical processing, heat processing, rendering, purification, extraction, hydrolysis, enzymolysis or fermentation, but not having been produced by or subject to a chemically synthetic process and not containing any additives or processing aids that are chemically synthetic.”
There are no current regulations of how a pet food bag can be labeled with “holistic” ingredients. This means that any brand can use the phrase without using the natural ingredient. So, for pet parents, it is still essential that you take the time to look closely at your pet food to find out what it really contains.
Many holistic brands include additives and vitamin supplements to their food to assist in your pet’s overall well-being and health. These ingredients may be listed as probiotics or minerals to boost coat and skin health.
If you want to try a holistic pet food brand, look for a bag that states that it is “grain-free” and substitutes corn and wheat with potatoes or rice. You can also look for natural vegetable and fruit ingredients in a quality holistic brand. Some holistic brands offer a raw diet style of food that you can find in the refrigeration section.
How to Choose the Best Holistic Pet Food
While there are no regulations governing the term “holistic” in pet foods, it remains important for owners to complete their due diligence. Reading the container labels to find out what the actual ingredients are will give you a clearer picture of the quality of the product.
Look for Natural Ingredients
- Holistic pet foods will contain natural ingredients like vegetables, meats, and fruits. Most holistic foods are low on grains or are grain-free. Grains are fillers and hold little nutritional value for your pet.
- Additives like probiotics, minerals, and vitamins should be included in holistic dog food.
Talk to Your Vet
- Your vet is an expert on what is the best type of diet for your dog. Talk to them about their recommendations. Be wary of products that they sponsor as they may be biased towards a certain partnered product.
Do Your Research
- All pet parents want the best for their beloved furry companions. It’s up to owners to do the research that will help them find the best pet food. Take a look at each pet food company and look at what their products contain, their value, and what kind of product they promise to their customers.
- Other pet parents are a great resource of information. Talk to your friends and family about what they use to feed their pets and what they would recommend as high-quality holistic food.
- The AAFCO label is crucial to finding high-quality pet food. The AAFCO works to maintain a minimum nutritional base value for all marketed pet foods.
If you are searching for healthier food for your pet, you may be curious about what holistic foods have to offer. While the industry is still fairly new, there are few regulations governing the sale and advertisement of holistic products. It’s important to do your research, talk to your vet, and find a nutritious product that will help your pet live a long and healthy life.
Latest posts by HealthStatus Crew (see all)
- Transitions & Trials: Outlining Essential Teen Health Check-Ups - September 22, 2021
- Cause And Treatment Of Temporomandibular Joint Disorders (TMD) - September 20, 2021
- 15 Habits Of Super Healthy People You Should Start Practicing Right Away - September 17, 2021