Are you starting to feel your age? There are some things you can do to help you age in the healthiest manner possible. Here are 10 tips:
- Get regular exercise. Pick something active that you enjoy doing and do it often. Living an active lifestyle will help you maintain physical independence.
- Eat a healthy well balanced diet. Don’t overdo sweets or salt.
- Keep learning. Challenge your brain. Cognitive stimulation can help slow cognitive decline.
- Keep up your relationships. Many as they age live alone, it is important to connect with others.
- Get the proper amount of sleep. Older adults still need the recommended 7 to 9 hours of sleep each night.
- Reduce stress. Yes, even as we age and trade in busy activity for more free time there will be stress. Be aware of stress and learn coping techniques.
- Stay healthy. Keep washing those hands and getting your annual checkups. Many serious health illnesses can be prevented or caught early if you stay on top of things.
- Take charge of your health by modifying any lifestyle choices that are not promoting wellbeing.
- Volunteer and get involved in your community. You may have more time than ever and there are endless ways you can contribute and make the world a better place.
- Prepare a health directive. This will lay out how you want your health handled if you aren’t able to be asked how you want something done. This is smart at any age.
Aging doesn’t have to mean you get old. Here’s how to take control of your life and live well. #HealthStatus
- 1Exercising regularly is a key to mental and physical wellness.
- 2Most adults in the US consume more than double the recommended amount of sodium per day, leading to several health issues.
- 3If you lead a lifestyle that promotes active learning, your cognitive abilities have a bigger chance of remaining intact as you age.
Read the full article at: