Being obese during pregnancy increases the risk of various pregnancy complications, including Gestational diabetes. Women who are obese are more likely to have diabetes that develops during pregnancy (gestational diabetes) than are women who have a normal weight. Research suggests that obesity during pregnancy slightly increases the risk of having a baby who’s born with a birth defect. Your pre-pregnancy weight and BMI, as well as your health and your baby’s health, all play a role in determining how much weight you need to gain during pregnancy. Start by considering these general guidelines for pregnancy weight gain and obesity: Single pregnancy. Rather than gaining or losing a specific amount of weight during pregnancy, your health care provider might encourage you to focus on avoiding excessive weight gain during pregnancy. If you’re obese, your health care provider will closely monitor your pregnancy. As your pregnancy progresses, your health care provider might recommend more frequent prenatal visits to monitor your health and your baby’s health. You can limit the impact of obesity on your pregnancy and ensure your health and your baby’s health. If you’re obese and you’re considering getting pregnant, talk to your health care provider. He or she might recommend a daily prenatal vitamin and refer you to other health care providers — such as a registered dietitian or an obesity specialist — who can help you reach a healthy weight before pregnancy.
- 1Your pre-pregnancy weight and BMI, as well as your health and your baby’s health, all play a role in determining how much weight you need to gain during pregnancy.
- 2Research suggests that women who are obese can safely gain less weight than the guidelines recommend.
- 3Being obese can harm your fertility by inhibiting normal ovulation.
A formula based on height and weight — called the body mass index (BMI) — is often used to determine if a person is obese.
Read the full article at: http://www.mayoclinic.org/pregnancy-and-obesity/ART-20044409?p=1
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- First CBD Cafe In US Offers Eye-Opening Way To Experience Cannabidiol - November 15, 2018
- Healthy Holidays / Family Stress The Relatives - November 14, 2018
- Dreaming On CBD: Will CBD Oil Cause Weird Dreams? - November 13, 2018