Toxins from pollution and the preservatives found in food and beverages can accumulate in the body, causing a host of diseases. To combat them, many detoxification products are widely sold in the market today. They offer enticing claims and promising results. However, to determine which detoxification program or product is right for you, you should first understand what it’s all about.
In this article, you’ll learn how to conduct proper detoxification of your body to reap its optimal health benefits.
What Is Detoxification?
Detoxification, also called detoxication, removes toxic substances from the body to give the liver enough space to process and eliminate toxins from the lymphatic system, the kidneys (urine), and blood.
Detoxification And Chelation Therapy
One proven detoxification method is chelation therapy, which is a treatment used to remove metals, like iron, arsenic, lead, and other toxic substances out of the body. Chelation therapy is primarily used to treat heavy metal poisoning. While more research still needs to be conducted on its other applications, chelation therapy is also believed to help reduce the signs and symptoms of autism, heart disease, and Alzheimer’s
Here’s how chelation therapy works:
- Chelation therapy includes the administration of supplements that are available in pill form, creams, or suppositories.
- EDTA Chelation also uses a synthetic solution called ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (EDTA) that can be given as injection via the intravenous route.
- Once the chelation drug has attached to the toxic metal due to metal poisoning, it is eliminated through your kidneys as urine.
How To Conduct Proper Detoxification
1. Know When You Need to Detox
Before you even think of the best detox program, it’s important to recognize the signs you need detoxification, including the following:
- Chronic Headaches: Headaches may result from the accumulation of unwanted chemicals in the body, such as artificial sweeteners (aspartame) and monosodium glutamate (MSG).
- Persistent Fatigue: Constant fatigue is another sign that your body needs detox due to an unhealthy diet and stress.
- Diarrhea or Constipation: Toxins can adhere to your gut over time, so detoxification is necessary to improve digestive health.
- Joint Pain: Excessive uric acid can result in joint pain, which affects flexibility and mobility.
- Other Signs: Some of the common indicators are difficulty sleeping, skin problems, sinus congestion, problems with concentration, bloating, and heartburn.
2. Eliminate Problem Foods
Toxic overload due to an unhealthy diet can lead to the warning signs mentioned above. Removing problem foods can get rid of these negative physical reactions. An elimination diet or ‘hypoallergenic diet’ is highly recommended to gradually clear up common food sensitivities. This involves cutting off dairy, soy, gluten, corn, sugar, alcohol, and eggs from your diet. You’ll also need to eat more whole foods.
Check out the following recommended foods during detoxification:
- Antioxidant-Rich Foods: Exposure to pollutants, tobacco smoke, alcohol, and poor diet can cause excessive free radicals. Eating antioxidant-rich foods helps protect cells against free radical damage or oxidative stress caused by excessive free radical production in the body. Some examples of foods rich in antioxidants are fruits, berries, nuts, spices, vegetables, green tea, and coffee.
- Foods High in Prebiotics: Prebiotics refer to a type of fiber that encourages the growth of good bacteria in the gut. Eat foods rich in prebiotics such as tomatoes, bananas, artichokes, garlic, oats, and onions to keep your immune system healthy and your body free from toxins.
3. Get More Rest and Sleep
According to a study published by Clinical Education, diminished sleep or sleep deprivation may lead to increased cytokines, an inflammatory marker, at night, which then leads to fatigue. It can also lead to low-grade inflammation in the brain. If the integrity of the blood-brain barrier is affected, toxins may cause neuroinflammation, or inflammation in the nerve cells.
The same study showed that people who take 2-hour naps experience significantly less sleepiness and show marked improvement in performing psychomotor tasks. Biochemically, the nap reversed the changes brought about by a night of sleep loss. The levels of cortisol, also known as the stress hormone, also decreased during the nap.
Check out the other advantages of getting a nap:
- Rejuvenate or restore energy
- Improve mood
- Combat stress and anxiety
- Improve focus
- Become more productive
- Strengthen immune system
4. Check Your Blood Glucose
For your body to detox properly, your blood glucose must be stable. In this way, your body can shift to its stress-related fuel supply, which means that the body starts using fat as energy instead of sugar.
Eating three good healthy meals is more advantageous than frequent meals or snacking in between meals. If you try eating three healthy meals without experiencing changes in cravings, mood, and energy, your blood glucose levels may be fine. Before detoxification, it’s crucial to have your blood glucose checked first by your physician, especially if you’re suffering from a serious medical condition like diabetes.
5. Choose the Best Detox Program for You
There are different ways to do detox, depending on your preferences and individual needs. Generally, liquid cleanses, and liver cleanses are popular ways to detox the body.
Here’s how they work:
- Liquid Cleanses: A liquid cleanse is known as a juice cleanse. In a study published by the Preventative Nutrition and Food Science in 2014, researchers found out that fresh juices contain high amounts of vitamin C, an immune-boosting antioxidant. Aside from juice, other liquid cleansing agents are brewed tea, lemon water, and apple cider vinegar. Smoothie-based or soup-based cleanses are also recommended because they come with whole blended fruits, protein powder, nuts, or nut butter.
- Liver Cleanses: Detox programs incorporate plant-based ingredients to boost kidney and liver functions. Liver cleanses help improve the elimination of toxic substances from the body. Foods like turmeric, fish, parsley, and garlic have antioxidant, antiseptic, and anti-inflammatory properties, which can improve the liver and kidneys – the body’s detoxification organs.
Proper detoxification starts by recognizing the signs that your body needs one. Once you’ve determined that you can benefit from detox programs like chelation therapy or liquid cleanses, make sure that you still eat nutritious food, get enough rest and sleep, and monitor your blood glucose. More importantly, consult your doctor before starting a detox program to make sure that you’re on the right path.
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- 11 Common Conditions That Can Be Treated By A Chiropractor - October 8, 2021
- 4 Signs Of Poor Gut Health And What You Can Do About It - September 16, 2021
- 4 Ways Magnesium Intake Impacts Your Body - September 13, 2021