The growing Alzheimer’s and dementia epidemic is very frustrating for patients, family members and doctors. The hope for a new treatment was crushed last year when Eli Lilly’s promising new drug was proved not treat the disease as hoped. Deep brain stimulation, thought to be a possible treatment, actually made the disease worse. To understand why there is no cure you have to understand that therapies are difficult to create. Memory is not a single ability but a collection of abilities in the brain, restoring them is almost impossible. Focus is on strengthening the brain before memory loss. What science is focusing on the fact the body and mind are very connected, healthy living is good for the body and the mind. Research into these factors in preventing the disease can be very promising.
- 1Doctors, families, researchers and seniors living with Alzheimer’s or dementia are eager to end the epidemic, finding a cure to eliminate the disease entirely.
- 2There are an estimated 5 million people in the United States living with the disease
- 3We know that positive life choices like healthy eating and regular exercise reduce the risk of dementia.
The outcome was not what we hoped for, and that is disappointing for the millions of people waiting for a potential disease-modifying treatment for Alzheimer’s disease.
Read the full article at: http://www.alzheimers.net/1-18-17-scientists-perplexed-by-dementia/
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- Study Affirms What Many Know: Antidepressants May Lead to Weight Gain - July 21, 2018
- A Typical Communication Pattern of People with Alzheimer’s Disease - July 20, 2018
- Learning to Relax - July 20, 2018