What you eat can influence how you sleep. Therefore, it is important to include in meals the types of food that calm down body and mind. Especially at dinnertime foods leading to a restful sleep are important. Such foods are lean proteins, herbs, and nuts. All three types can easily be incorporated into meals. The tryptophan found in lean proteins such as turkey, chicken, fish and low-fat cheese, causes feelings of sleepiness and relaxation. Herbs like sage and basil ease tension making it easier to cast worries aside that otherwise would keep you awake. Finally, nuts including walnuts, almonds, and cashews, as well as nut butters, increase serotonin levels just like the tryptophan in lean proteins, causing a relaxed and sleepy feeling.
- 1Tryptophan, an amino acid that increases serotonin levels to help you feel sleepy and relaxed
- 2Combining foods that are high in tryptophan with healthy, complex carbohydrates also improves sleep .
- 3Eating heart-healthy fats can also boost serotonin levels
You can also chop it up and mix it with olive oil, garlic, pine nuts, salt and pepper, and pecorino cheese to make a pesto sauce, and then toss cooked zucchini in it.
Read the full article at: https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-topics/foods-good-nights-sleep
Latest posts by HealthStatus (see all)
- What Causes Student Stress And How To Avoid It In College - February 21, 2020
- Science Reveals Fascinating Insights About Who We Are And Where We Come From - February 20, 2020
- What To Look For In Quality Chiropractic Graduate Schools - February 20, 2020